Dec 01, 2023  
2013-2015 Catalog 
2013-2015 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Admissions Philosophy

East Central College welcomes students to enroll in credit and non-credit classes without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Admission to the College does not guarantee admission to a specific program, as some programs have additional admission requirements, such as prerequisites, cumulative grade point averages, and/or test scores. (Board Policy 3.1)

Limited Admissions Programs

East Central College is an open admissions institution. Within the college’s programs of study, several programs have limited and competitive admissions processes.

For Academic Year 2014-2015, those programs with selective admissions requirements and distinct processes are:

Culinary Arts
Occupational Therapy Assistant
Teacher Education
Respiratory Care (Partner Program - ECC-Rolla, Rolla Technical Center)
Radiologic Technology (Partner Program - ECC-Rolla, Rolla Technical Center)

Student enrollment in each of these programs is subject to the terms and conditions of the admissions package, as established by the programs. Students seeking to enroll in these programs may also be required to present appropriate test scores and grade point averages, and/or undergo a criminal background check, drug testing or other screening as determined by the faculty and staff within these programs. Students are required to pay for any program admission fees and the cost of any required screening.

Admission to or continuation in selective programs is contingent upon the screening results required by the specific program admission policy. Admissions processes are clearly described by the departments and are subject to specific timelines and deadlines. Students may receive additional information regarding program admission, application process or required screenings by contacting faculty or staff in the program area. (Board Policy 3.2)

Admissions Classifications

Degree or Certificate-Seeking Student: A postsecondary student enrolled for credit coursework with the intention of completing a college or university degree or certificate. Students who apply for financial aid must have degree or certificate-seeking status.

Non-Degree or Certificate-Seeking Student: A student enrolled for credit coursework who does not plan to receive a college or university degree or certificate. A non-degree/certificate seeking student may earn a maximum of 15 semester hours in that status. A non-degree/certificate seeking student is not eligible for financial aid and must meet course prerequisites. Students with a bachelor’s degree or higher are exempt from the 15-hour maximum, with verification of the degree.

Visiting Student: A degree-seeking student from another college who attends ECC for one semester or summer sessions only. An Application for Admission is required, but transcripts or grade reports are only requested as a means to verify prerequisite coursework. A visiting student may also be asked to take an assessment test, depending upon course enrollment. Visiting students are not eligible to receive financial aid while attending ECC, and it is their responsibility to obtain permission from their home campus to apply their ECC courses toward their academic program.

Dual Enrollment Student: A secondary student who has not completed a high school diploma, GED/HSE certificate or a home school certificate who is enrolled in credit classes. College classes taken prior to high school graduation will not meet a secondary diploma requirement. Secondary students are not eligible for financial aid and may be asked to provide permission to enroll from their high school.

Dual Credit Student: A secondary student receiving both high school and college credit for the same course taught at their high school campus. The dual credit program is open only to high school juniors and seniors with appropriate test scores and/or coursework. Courses are taught at the high school by high school faculty who meet the standard educational requirements for college faculty. Students pay tuition for each course and are entitled to all college privileges and services except financial aid. Credit earned will be maintained by the ECC Registrar.

Note: For more information on dual credit courses, secondary students should contact their high school counselors.

Dual Technical Credit Student: A secondary student attending a high school or regional career center with a current articulation agreement in place, who receives both high school and college credit for the same career/technical course taught at their high school campus. The dual technical credit program is open only to high school juniors and seniors who meet the eligibility criteria. Students pay tuition for each course and are entitled to all college privileges and services except financial aid. Credit earned will be maintained by the ECC Registrar.

Students Under Age 17: Students younger than 17 years of age who are not dual credit students, have not completed a high school diploma, an HSE/GED certificate, or a home school certificate may enroll in ECC credit courses only with special permission. In addition to regular admissions procedures, students must complete a Special Admission Form with the approval signature of a parent or guardian. Students are subject to the assessment testing required for their coursework and are not eligible to apply for financial aid until they can provide an official high school diploma or official HSE/GED or a notarized homeschool certificate with the graduation date.

Senior Citizens: In accordance with Section 173.091 of the Missouri Revised Statutes, the college allows a Missouri resident who is 65 years or older on or before August first of a school year to enroll in College credit courses tuition free, on a space available basis, after the regular students’ fees are due. Senior citizens are required to pay the associated general fees and special fees. Proof of eligibility will be required when registering. Courses must be taken on an audit basis, and all course prerequisites must be met prior to registration. The Senior Citizens Waiver does not apply to courses offered only on a non-credit basis or programs offered through educational partners.

Audit Students: A student auditing courses must complete the same admission requirements as a regular student and must enroll and pay regular tuition and fees. The student may or may not be required to take exams as determined by the instructor, but an audit student is subject to the same attendance requirements as regular students. An audit grade does not count toward credit hours for financial aid eligibility. Failure to meet requirements for an audit grade will result in a W grade being recorded on the student’s transcript.

New Student Procedures

Students with a High School Diploma, Home School Diploma or HSE/GED

Graduates of high schools with regional accreditation, graduates of home schools and those who hold a High School Equivalency/General Educational Development Certificate (HSE/GED) are eligible to enroll at East Central College. Graduates of high schools not accredited by a regional accrediting agency or appropriate state agency must follow the procedures for Students without a High School Diploma, Home School Diploma or HSE/GED. Questions regarding the acceptability of high school credentials should be directed to the Associate Registrar.

Students without a High School Diploma, Home School Diploma or HSE/GED

Applicants for admission who did not graduate from high school, home school or earn an HSE/GED certificate will be provisionally admitted but must successfully complete the HSE/GED and provide evidence of completion to Student Services within their first 15 credit hours of coursework. Enrollment in coursework beyond 15 credit hours will not be permitted without a completed HSE/GED. Students without a high school diploma, home school diploma, or HSE/GED are not eligible for financial aid.

Students with a Criminal Background

While it is the mission of the College to welcome students without discrimination, state and federal laws, school district policies, and off-campus site regulations prevent a student with a felony background from entering certain programs and attending classes at certain locations. Required internship or practicum courses conducted with outside organizations at external sites may also require drug or criminal background screening.

Applicants with felony backgrounds are required to provide, at their own expense, a certified criminal background check from the appropriate state or federal agency before their admission to the college can be finalized. Students who are arrested for any reason after they have been admitted are required to report the offense to the Vice President of Student Development within 72 hours.

Note: For more information, contact the Office of Student Development.

Steps for Student Admission

  1. Submit an Application for Admission
    Download the application from and email it to or fax it to 636-584-7347. Applications may also be mailed to: ECC Admissions, 1964 Prairie Dell Road, Union, MO 63084
  2. Placement testing is required - Contact Admissions at 636-584-6563 to learn more
  3. Request transcript(s)
    • High School Graduates - To be considered for a college scholarship, students must submit a high school transcript at the end of their 6th semester - no later than December 1 for merit-based scholarships or March 15 for need-based scholarships. Students should also request that the high school from which they graduate send an official transcript to the Registrar after graduation.
    • HSE/GED Graduates - Submit an official HSE/GED transcript to the Registrar. To request a free electronic transcript, visit and select “An Official Transcript.”
    • Home School Graduates - Submit a notarized copy of a parent’s, guardian’s or external correspondence vendor’s home school high school final transcript to the Registrar.
    • Transfer Students/Graduates From Other Institutions - Request that each institution send a complete academic transcript to the Registrar. See also “Transfer In Credit Procedures .”
  4. Activate eCentral Online Student Services
    After applying for admission, students will receive information to access eCentral online services. Students are sent a Personal Identification Number (PIN) which serves as a temporary password to allow access to grades, registration (with advisor approval), schedule changes, student email, program evaluations, semester schedules, course information, unofficial transcripts, official transcript requests, account summaries, and online payments. After receiving the PIN, students must activate their account and reset their password. This login information will give students access to all online student services. Computers are available for student use at several campus locations.
  5. Financial Aid and Scholarships
    First, apply for financial aid at   ECC School Code: 008862
    Second, apply for Scholarships:
    • The ECC scholarship application process is on-line and the link to this application can be found at Applicants will need their eCentral login and password to complete the process.
    • Merit-based scholarship priority deadline: December 1 (Completion of the FAFSA and additional information will be required after recipients are selected.)
    • Need-based scholarship priority deadline: March 15 (The FAFSA must also be completed by this date to be considered for scholarships.)

If the FAFSA and high school transcript or HSE/GED scores are received by the deadline, students will be given priority consideration for scholarship awards.
Some scholarships also require an additional scholarship application by the deadline. The scholarship application can be found at
Students who have questions about financial aid or scholarships should contact the Financial Aid Office.

  1. Complete and submit the Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Questionnaire and Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment form, if required.
  2. Meet with an advisor to schedule classes
    An advisor will help to set up a schedule that conforms to the major field of study and ECC’s graduation requirements and will assist the student in completing the “Declaration of Academic Program.”
  3. Payment of fees
    Payment deadlines are published in the Academic Calendar and on the student’s billing statement. After this date, fees are due at time of registration. Checks and money orders should be made payable to East Central College. Payment may be made by Discover, VISA or MasterCard, or students may set up a payment plan by contacting the Cashier.
  4. Photo I.D.
    Students will be required to obtain a Student Photo I.D. before the start of classes by visiting the Student Service Center on the Union campus or the office at ECC-Rolla or ECC-Sullivan. Some other form of photo identification (i.e. driver’s license) must be presented.
  5. Purchase Books
    The Bookstore is located on the lower level of the Multipurpose Building in Union. Students taking classes in Rolla may purchase their books through University Book & Supply at 1107 North Pine, Rolla. The telephone number is 573-368-5558. Books and supplies can be purchased any time, but students will be expected to pay for the books when received. If financial aid benefits cover the cost of books, students will be allowed to pick them up after financial aid has been fully accepted. Typically, this occurs a few weeks prior to the start of the semester.

Returning Student, Non-Continuous Enrollment Procedures

Former East Central College students in good standing who have not attended ECC for one semester or more (excluding summers) must submit a new Application for Admission and declare an academic program. Students who are not continuously enrolled will be subject to the degree or certificate requirements in place when they return. Returning students who have attended other postsecondary institutions should submit official transcripts from all institutions attended.

International Student Admission Procedures

All international students must:  

  1. Complete an ECC Application for Admission.
  2. Complete an ECC International Student Application for Admission.
  3. Submit an original copy of an Affidavit of Support (INS form I-134) indicating minimum support for tuition, fees, books, housing, food, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses. (The International Student Advisor will provide the specific dollar amount required.)
  4. Submit an ECC Sponsorship of International Students form. Note: The sponsor must be a resident of the East Central College service district and be responsible for assisting with the international student’s housing and transportation needs (not necessarily financial liability).
  5. If English is not the student’s native language, submit one of the following as evidence of English competency:
    • Test of English as a Foreign Language (minimum TOEFL score of 550 on the written test, 213 on the computer-based test or 79 on the Internet-based test).
    • A grade of C or better in a course equivalent to English Composition I taken in residence at a U.S. college or university.
    • Documentation of English proficiency (i.e.) Native Language or completion of ESL program.
  6. Submit original transcripts from secondary schools completed and universities previously attended translated into English and accompanied by an explanation of the grading system used. Transcripts must be sent directly from school/college records/registrar’s offices to the address below. These records cannot be received directly from students or sponsors.
  7. During the admissions process, students must complete and sign the Health Insurance Form, which is available on the international student website.

    Once enrolled, all applicants must show evidence of health insurance covering a 12- month period, and insurance must remain in force during the entire period that the student is enrolled at East Central College. Applicants must submit: a readable copy of their insurance card (front and back) AND a letter from their insurance carrier stating that their policy covers illness or injury in the U.S.
  8. Transfer Eligibility from prior post-secondary institution (if applicable)
  9. Submit a copy of original F-1 visa, I-94, and Passport (when available)
    Send all documents pertaining to international student admission to:

International Student Advisor
East Central College
1964 Prairie Dell Road
Union, MO 63084
Fax: 636-584-7347

If the international student admission is approved, an I-20 form will be issued within 30 days of receipt of the above records. All documents must be received by the following dates:

  • April 15 for summer semester
  • July 15 for fall semester
  • November 15 for spring semester

Before beginning the first semester of enrollment, international students must show evidence of health insurance covering a 12-month period. Such insurance must be in force during the entire period of enrollment at the College, and supporting documents must be on file with the International Student Advisor. (Board Policy 3.3)


Student residency status will be determined at the time of enrollment at East Central College. Student residency guidelines followed by the College will be those adopted by the Coordinating Board for Higher Education. In the case of international students or resident aliens, residency will be determined based upon both federal determination of status and state guidelines. A copy of such guidelines may be found in the Office of the Registrar. (Board Policy 3.4)

The East Central College District is comprised of the following school districts: Washington, Union R-11, St. Clair R-13, Sullivan C-2, New Haven, Crawford County R-I (Bourbon), Franklin County R-2, Lonedell R-14, Strain-Japan R-16, and Spring Bluff R-15. Only residents of the district are eligible for the in-district rate of tuition.

A resident of the ECC district is:

  1. a dependent student whose parents or legal guardians have established residence within the district; or
  2. an independent student (adult student or emancipated minor) who has established residence within the district prior to enrollment in the college.

A student may be required to submit proof of his or her legal residence. In order to change to in- district resident status, a student must contact the Registrar’s Office and provide additional documentation prior to the beginning of the semester. See “Residency Change Process” in Student Handbook.